ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.While I do not for one second believe this will be abused in the short term (it may even lead to some good consequences), the question is how in the long term to avoid moving in the direction of the following pitfalls as mentioned by a perhaps not too friendly commenter:
The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.
Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.
1. Abuse against women will grow since the Qur'an allows men to beat their wives and divorce them easily and unilaterally.A lot of people will watch England closely in the years ahead. And not only the football matches.
2. Polygamy will be allowed.
3. Muslim men will rarely be prosecuted for rape, since sharia law makes this nearly impossible.
4. Muslim violence against infidels will be excused.
5. This "parallel law" will become a beachhead for establishing sharia for the entire country. Islam always aspires to be a civilization, not just a religion (in the Western sense).
Update 12:20: Read Damian Thompson's comment.